Welcome to this week’s On the CASE with Ann & Nicole. Your favorite stamping sleuths are back at work continuing our quest: To work through current Stampin’ Up! catalogs to break down gorgeous samples, step-by-step, just for you! In “case” this is your first “On the CASE” visit, here is the scoop: Twice a month, on the first and third Wednesdays, we will be CASEing a card from one of Stampin’ Up!’s current catalogs. CASE means to Copy and Share with Everyone, and that is exactly what we will be doing. We hope you enjoy the cards we CASE and the free tutorials included in our posts! Let’s get on to today’s CASE: The CASE of the Season to Sparkle!
On the CASE – Season to Sparkle
Holiday Catalog – Page 43
How many of you missed this little gem of a holiday card? In the actual Holiday Catalog it is tucked under the advertising for the Season to Sparkle bundle, and is easily overlooked. For some reason the eye is drawn more to the Halloween sample. When I finally took time to examine it closely, I was determined to CASE it. You know me and music paper…I love it as much as I do plaid! So off I went to create this card, and figure out the steps involved. Let’s get on the CASE!
Colors of the Day
Stamps and Papers and Inks … Oh, My!
Stamps: Season to Sparkle
Paper: Whisper White Thick Cardstock (4-1/4″ x 11″), Whisper White Cardstock (scraps), Pool Party Cardstock (3-3/4″ x 4-1/4″), Vellum Cardstock (1/2″ x 1-3/4″), Merry Music Specialty Designer Series Paper (4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″)
Inks: Versamark Watermark Ink, Emerald Envy, Pool Party Ink Pad or Pool Party Ink Refill, Real Red, Soft Suede
Other: Aqua Painter, Big Shot, Chandelier Thinlits Dies, Heat Tool, White Stampin’ Emboss Powder, Embossing Buddy, Paper Snips, Year of Cheer Specialty Washi Tape, SNAIL Adhesive, Fine-Tip Glue Pen, Mini Glue Dots
“On the CASE” Notes
Your Step-by-Step Guide
1. Score the Whisper White cardstock at 5-1/2″ to create the card base. Using an Aqua Painter, wash the Designer Series Paper with Pool Party ink. I like to add a few drops of ink refill to the lid of the stamp pad, and dilute it with liquid from the Aqua Painter. When dry, adhere to the card base.
Tip: I use rubbing alcohol in my Aqua Painter, because it dries quickly, with less wrinkling of the paper. However, you can place weight upon the paper so it dries flat…or you can iron it on low, being careful not to scorch the paper. Here’s this little cutie iron I picked up at Marshall’s for $6.99. Trust me…it doesn’t get hot enough to scorch, and it’s great for ribbons, too!2. Dust the surface of the Pool Party cardstock with an Embossing Buddy. Heat emboss the chandelier image using VersaMark ink and white embossing powder.
3. Add two 3″ pieces of silver Year of Cheer Specialty Washi Tape to the card, 4-1/4″ apart. Adhere the embossed Pool Party panel onto the card base, popping it up on dimensionals.
4. Stamp two pine cone images in Soft Suede. Cut out with the appropriate thinlit. Adhere to the chandelier as illustrated in the photo.
5. Using Mini Glue Dots, adhere a snippet of Silver Mini Sequin Trim onto the chandelier.
6. Stamp the pine bough swag in green. I selected Emerald Envy, because I love it paired with Pool Party. However, I believe Stampin’ Up! used Garden Green. Cut out with the appropriate thinlit.
Ink the berries in Real Red, and stamp them.
7. Ink the sentiment in Real Red and stamp onto the vellum. Tip: To prevent the ink from smearing, gently heat with a heat tool. Be careful not to scorch the paper or your fingers!
8. Adhere the swag to the chandelier with mini glue dots, slipping the vellum sentiment right under the edge, so it is also held in place by the glue dots.
9. Use the Fine-Tip Glue Pen to add a few sequins, and your Season is going to Sparkle. Enjoy!
How Hard Was It to Crack this CASE
Today’s card is an easy one, with no difficult techniques involved. Just remember to use the Embossing Buddy before heat embossing the chandelier. With rubbing alcohol in your Aqua Painter, creating the Pool Party wash will be a breeze. Difficulty Level: 2 out of 5
Nicole and I hope our projects today inspire you to try CASEing the catalog, too! We’ll be “on the case”, looking for the hashtag #SUontheCASE on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ & Pinterest). If we find one of your projects, we’ll share it, like it, repost it – we’ll do it all!
Now head on over to Nicole at Pixel Maven’s Retreat to see the CASE file she has been working on from the Holiday Catalog. Nicole always writes the BEST tutorials! You will love what she has created for you. If you look closely at the picture below, you might get a clue about the set she used…
While at OnStage Live this past week, Nicole and I had time to discuss our upcoming CASE files. You’ll love what we have in store for you! In addition, Nicole and I had time to discuss my upcoming blog refresh. I am so excited to see what fun things the Integrant Services Dynamic Duo, Nicole and her husband Brian, have in store for The Stampin’ Schach.
Would you like to check out the most recent Cold CASE Files? Try these:
The CASE of A Brightly Lit Christmas
A CASE of Good Tidings
A CASE of Nature Sings
A CASE of Snowflake Sentiments
A CASE of Gourd Goodness
The CASE of the Sheltering Tree
The CASE of the Beautiful Bouquet
The CASE of the Birthday Blooms
Ready to get On this CASE? If you would like to try your hand at creating your own CASE of A Season to Sparkle, the supply list is located below. Clicking on a product takes you right to my store. Be sure to use this month’s Host Code. Online orders over $50 (before tax and shipping) will receive a special little somethin’-somethin’ from me IF you use the Host Code.
And remember, if you have any questions about the cards I create or the techniques I use, I am only an email away. Until next time – CASE away!